Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Friday in Chicago










Friday July 10, I took a river cruise to see Chicago architecture...very interesting and informative commentary...I took lots of pictures and don't remember now what commentary goes with which building...however, I do remember them saying that at one point they had passed a city ordinance that required riverfront property owners to face the river instead of backing up to it. Brilliant stroke, I think. It is a visually exciting cruise that otherwise would have been like riding down a river alley. The cylinder-shaped buildings are parking garages. There is a high rise where tenants can park their boats under the building!

I left the cruise at the Navy Pier. I checked out the sculptures (did you recognize Bob Newhart and his couch up there?) and sites along the Pier, but then felt the need to take the Riverwalk, more or less, to the Westin, where the library fashion show was held. I thought this might be slightly satirical in nature (forgive me, Librarians!) but turned out these ladies were modeling their own clothes and they looked really good.

It will be a real victory for me, btw, when I figure out how to align the pics with the actual paragraph that references them...but for now....

3 comments:

Lyndsey said...

And there's nothing that Aunt Vic loves more than the Riverwalk!

Unknown said...

Bet you're glad I convinced my dad to get you that small camera!

Jan Kelley said...

Vicki, I am thrilled at wht you did on this day. Love the idea and the reality of the cruise. Love chicago and so glad you were able to visitl